1. You own it: With no landlord, you make the decisions.
2. You deduct it: Mortgage interest, property taxes and some costs involved with buying a home can be deducted from federal income taxes.
3. Interest rates: The cost to borrow mortgage money is at an all-time low. If you’re going to buy, this is the time to jump into the market.
4. You invest in it: Rent money is gone forever. Mortgage payments build home equity ownership interests.
5. You save for the future: Home equity is a ready-made savings plan. Sell it and you can make up to $250,000 cash without owing any federal income tax on the profit.
6. You can predict expenses: Unlike rent, a fixed-mortgage payment doesn’t get more expensive over time.
7. You pick it: Choose from different neighborhoods, styles and price ranges.
8. You create it: Decorate, renovate, get a pet or paint the walls whatever color you want – it belongs to you.
9. You live in a neighborhood: You and your neighbors take pride in the local schools, roads and more – and you work together to build a friendly community.
10. You spend money on yourself: When you buy a chandelier or hardwood floor or kitchen cabinet, you’re spending hard-earned money on yourself and building your equity at the same time.